Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm Not Really a Waitress

Let's talk about jobs.  I like mine.  I'm a sign language interpreter.  I work freelance at the University of Arizona here and there.  That's fun.  I get to be on campus, mingle with the students, and people watch.  The UA campus is probably the only place that has green grass and trees that are well groomed in town.  It's so nice to take a book in between classes, sit on one of the benches, and soak up that fresh collegiate air.  

Most of the time, I work at a video relay service interpreting deaf people's phone calls.  Imagine every possible conversation someone might have on the phone.  I might have to interpret it.  It's a weird job.  Can't say much on the subject since it's all highly confidential.  I even have a nifty card I have to swipe to gain entrance into the office.  Ooh!  No one can know what goes on behind those doors.  ;)

One thing I don't like about my job is the dress code.  Interpreters must wear plain, solid color shirts, contrasting color from their skin tone.  For me that means a whole lot of black and navy in various shades.  No jewelry.  No fingernail polish.  No bright colors.  No adorable floral patterns or stripes.  No style.  I try my best to work with what I've got, but it gets old pretty fast.  

Today was the first of three days off of work this week, so I painted my nails I'm Not Really a Waitress red and decided to break all the rules.  Because I can and because it's not really breaking all the rules.  Floral, stripes, and bright colors.  Let's put them all together.  


Hey, I found a tree! 

In other news, I bought a Wii.  I know I am only about three years behind.  Behind per usual.  Remember those Razor phones?  Everyone had them.  They were cute and thin and pink.  Remember?  Well, I had an enormous, yellow Nextel phone that looked like it belonged on a construction site, durable enough to withstand dropping from a twenty story building.  Then the slightly less obnoxious flip phone with no color display until finally I bought an iPhone.  I wasn't behind on that one, but it was time to get with the times.  So anyways, long story short I got a Wii.  Got my Bollywood and Charleston on playing Wii Just Dance 2 tonight.  It's pretty great.  That is all.

Hooray for days off!! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...