Wednesday, April 6, 2011

For The Love Of...

Subways, The Tube, Monorail, Trains, and Buses.  I've done it all.  Why am I devoting an entire post to public transportation?  Well, you see, I will be turning the big 25 in less than a week.  You know what that means?  I will finally be able to rent a car without the outrageous fees of under 25 rentals.  It's a milestone!  I don't know how often I will be renting cars, but it's nice to know there is the option.  Oh and my car insurance rate should go down.  I feel like I've been driving the same spectacular way for the past few years, but okay. 

In all of our travels, we have had some adventures wrapped around the subway systems.  The London Tube was easy to navigate.  We thought we had it down.  Then we got to Rome and enter in that all the signs were in Italian, we couldn't tell which way was up.  The first day, I think we had a meltdown.  Malaysia and Thailand were surprisingly easy to navigate. 

Singapore's train station was immaculate.  You could eat off the floors, almost.  There are hefty fines that go along with eating or drinking in or near the train.  One older lady started eating something and everyone in the train started guessturing to her frantically to put it away.  Pretty hilarious.  You couldn't even eat or drink inside the train station.  We would have to stand outside and finish or just throw it away. 

New York is somewhat challenging.  It's such a complex system.  It takes a lot longer to get places than you would think sometimes.  If you miss one train, forget about it.


Train stations are great places to people watch.  Doesn't this look fun?  Rush hour on the trains.  How many times have we had to hold hands tightly pushing onto the train making sure we all get on the same one?  Or been pushed further in by other people in the most uncomfortable positions smacked up against strangers?  Oh the sights and smells we've had to endure!  Or how about those pole leaners.  You know the type that lean full body up against the pole even when it's packed and you have nowhere to hang on to.  Excuse my hand in the middle of your back.  Dude!

All the signs say Way Out in London, instead of Exit.  I like!

In Rome with friends. 

Thailand had these cute little cartoon characters on their metro cards.

Train that we used on our daily commute in Malaysia.


View from Cable Car in San Francisco.
In San Francisco, we were on our way to the Union Station going out of the city.  That area at night is sort of sketchy.  Bums on every corner.  Syd and I decided to sign to each other in hopes that no one would bother us on our way to the train.  That backfired when this one guy started yelling out after us.  More like making noises.  We think it was a deaf homeless guy.  We walked faster.  Our sign language plan failed us.  We use sign language in the malls with the annoying kiosk guys too.  Works like a charm.  They go in to try to sell you something and see us signing.  They stop dead in their tracks.  We find the best uses for our sign language skills.
On the train to Chicago.  Trying to keep warm!

 
There are just a few pictures of our travels on public transport!  It's been a wild trip!  Man, 25.  I feel old. =)

3 comments:

Megs said...

I was just explaining to an early morning service group this morning that thanks to the St. Louis metrolink system, I am NOT a fan of public transportation. Like the time my sister and I were in the same car as the recently released from prison MURDERER! And we ended up by him to get away from the smelly homeless man. Then there was the man who thought the platform was his bathroom, the kids who offered me weed in the elevator down to the platform (and oh by the way the cops were right outside the elevator). Weird, creepy, smelly, stupid.....St. Louis has got it all.

Taylor said...

But look at the stories you have to tell now! Something crazy always happens on public transport.

J. said...

Hi Taylor,
In the midst of blog surfing I came across your blog and was wondering if you could help me with a project. For my husband and my 5th anniversary, I'm trying to get pictures from as many different states and countries as I can with a person from that location holding a sign that says
Janae loves Jeff in ____________

I was wondering if you would do a picture for me?

my blog: jscrapalex.blogspot.com
flickr group for this project: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1617848@N25/members/

Thanks!
Janae
janaepalmer{at}gmail{dot}com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...