Friday, January 14, 2011

But My Favorite Season is Still Fall

Now almost every state is getting hit with horrendous snowstorms!  Everyone complaining with each new snowflake that falls and counting the days till summer.  Meanwhile, we had two glorious weeks of under 60 degree weather and we're back up in the 70s.  I really hate it that I now dislike what most people would consider beautiful weather, but such is the case.  When something is a constant, you don't appreciate it as much.  Back in Wisconsin, when there was a nice sunny day, you would take that great day and do something with it.  Summer was something to look forward to.  It was a special time with visits to the lake, amusement parks, outdoor festivals, fireflies and ladybugs.  Why does Arizona not have any ladybugs or fireflies?  I kind of miss those little guys.  Then came the changing of the leaves and fresh, brisk autumn air, followed by the first magical snowfall.  Seasons are exciting and you can't help but appreciate each one for what it is.

Now I'm not saying I would move back to Wisconsin, because those winters were brutal and almost endless.  Although winter brought snowball fights, sledding, wood burning in the fireplace, hot chocolate, blankets, and ice skating.  Summer here is pretty much as brutal and endless.  I can't think of anything that makes me look forward to it.  Could someone help me out with this?


You could say, you failed to mention all the negative things in each season.  There are plenty of them, but this blog is for fanciful things.  Mosquitoes or frostbite are far from fanciful.


Now for your viewing pleasure, this amazing winter party.  Your own private ice skating rink in the woods with sparkling lights, bonfire, and homemade marsh mellows in your hot chocolate.  Yes, please!


{via}

These pictures instantly brought me back to winter in Wisconsin.  We used to live on five acres in the woods pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  There was a pond not too far yonder and in the winter we use to trudge through the snow with our skates slung over our shoulders.  We would have to shovel the snow off the ice and it wasn't perfectly groomed, but it was our own private rink in the middle of the woods.  It wasn't a deep lake, so no worries of thin ice and drowning in freezing cold water like they show so often in the movies.  Now looking back, we didn't do it near enough.  As kids, you don't really think about how good you had it.  What?  Doesn't everyone have their own little pond to ice skate on and five acres of woods to explore as their own natural jungle gym?  That was pretty sweet. 

Oh, all my friends and family now enjoying those lovely winter temperatures and storms, please don't hate.  Love you!!

6 comments:

Adelaide said...

You guys did have a pretty lovely upbringing, Taylor Tot. I had a sun-baked clod of dirt to play with. I'm retroactively super jealous. ;)

Taylor said...

And I'm super jeal of you right now! I think we are even. =)

Adelaide said...

Fair enough. Now you come here to me. :)

Megs said...

I grew on a farm in Illinois, I can totally relate! I also miss fireflies and ladybugs and conveniently forget about mosquitos.

Taylor said...

Hooray! High five through the interwebs to a fellow Midwest girl!

Megs said...

Back at ya! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...